It’s the most wonderful time of the year….for many of us. However, there are many others who are not so jolly this time of year. Maybe they have lost a loved one, a child, are battling physical abuse, dealing with health complications, drug addiction, unexpected pregnancy, 3 months behind on rent, having car trouble, or any number of issues. We see people and families in our community dealing with these things every day, and the holidays adds an extra stress to a mountain of issues.
How can YOU step in and help those who need it most this Christmas?
- Donate financially. Sometimes this can be very easy for folks to do, and sometimes it’s the hardest thing. Where does the money go? Does my donation matter? Sometimes it’s hard to click that donate button when you have your own gifts to buy and bills to pay. The answer is simple. Our needs change on a daily, sometimes, hourly basis. We may be in need of a certain item, and within an hour, we have that need filled. Although we give out food and clothing to clients, the holidays have proven to be a time of extreme need. We are seeing around 30 clients a day, with about $50,000 in financial requests coming in WEEKLY. Contributing financially helps us to reach and touch the lives of more families right here in Lexington County. It’s easy to donate online here.
- Donate new toys. This is a fun one! We opened Christmas gift assistance to the public last Monday, November 28th, and in the first week alone, filled gift requests for almost 300 children. We anticipate hundreds more to come through our doors in the coming weeks. The most needed items are for middle and teenage boys, items like footballs, basketballs, nerf guns, Itunes gift cards, Board games, Socks, Slippers, and small electronics. Other popular items needed are middle and high school girls gifts, like scarves, hair and makeup tools, eye shadow kits, nail polish kits, slippers and bathrobes, and small bluetooth speakers. Baby dolls (black and white), Barbies, Princess things, and Super Hero things are also loved. (Please note, the last day for Christmas gift assistance is December 19th.)
- Host a Food Drive. Collect our most needed food for LICS by hosting a food drive at your office, church, boy/girl scout troop, school, or organization. We make it easy by providing the barrels, and picking them up when you are done. To sign up to host a food drive, click here.
- Put together a Holiday Meal Basket. Many of us anticipate a wonderful Christmas meal, complete with ham or turkey and all of the sides. Help put a Holiday Meal on the table of a family this Christmas. Donate a ham/turkey, stuffing mix, canned vegetables, yams, corn muffin mix, and dessert kit. Baskets can be put together or you can bring in the pieces and let us put them together. More details here.
- Collect and donate toiletries. For a number of our clients, personal hygiene goes on the back burner in exchange for medication, rent, and gas money. Did you know that LICS has an entire room in our facility dedicated to storing and packing personal care bags? We are especially in need of full size shampoo, conditioner and body lotion, and deodorant right now. Those are fun and easy things to pick up, and they really make a difference.
- New Undergarments. This is a fun break from the typical food drives. Every client receiving clothing is also offered new undergarments. Putting on new socks and clean underwear is a luxury that many of us take for granted. We are in need of women’s and children’s underwear, men and children’s socks, and t-shirts.
- Follow us on social media. Facebook is where we post our most needed items on a regular basis. We may have a specific need – such as pet food, or beds, or specialty baby formula. If you like our page, follow us on Twitter (@LICSofSC), and sign up for our email list, you’ll be most up to date.
- Shop at LICS. Whether you’re in our Thrift Shop, or at the Trunk Show on December 8th, shopping with LICS keeps money right here in Lexington County to serve those who need our services. Every dollar comes right back to us to support our programs.
- Dip your card in our DipJar. Next time you’re in the Thrift Shop, whether you purchase something or not, be sure and dip your credit or debit card in the DipJar. It’s super easy and your $1 donation will come straight to LICS.
- Prayer. Please continue to pray for our ministry- for our staff, our volunteers, our clients, and the lives of those we touch. We believe that prayer changes things, and we covet your prayers over us.
Anything that you collect and would like to bring to LICS can be dropped off at our Donation Center Monday – Friday, from 9 – 5:30. Simply drive around to the back of our building (216 Harmon Street, Lexington) and make your donation. The boys can help you unload your items, and give you a tax donation receipt. Questions? Email email@example.com or call 957-6656 x 228.